Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Never Burn a Bridge

This Thanksgiving will the three year mark since I was laid off (the first time).  The decision was business, and I understand that in my head.  In my heart I had a lot of emotion.  I have written a lot about it here.

I am not sure where I learned it (probably from Eva Jordan) that you should never burn a bridge.  You just never know when you will need it. 

When I think about this idiom I imagine a narrow rope and wood plank bridge stretched accross a very high canyon.  I don't really fear a "fire" but rather the ends of said rope and wood plank bridge giving out, or being cut.

For the past five months I have been back to work for the company that let me go almost three years ago.    I have been working in a "temporary" capacity until now.  On Friday, I will start in my "permanant" capacity.  I kind of laugh at the notion of being a "permanant" employee because I have been "permanant" before, so really what does that mean?

I could say that they wanted me back because I am Pretty & Smart, but that is not the whole story.  Five months ago a friend that I worked with in my previous engagement here said that I was looking for a job.  I got on because when I left, I left with grace and kept my hard feelings to myself, and to those who would not use them against me (ego kind of stuff).  I didn't burn, or cut down that bridge.

I am in an office that I really like, and working with a great group.  I am glad that I am here, and glad that I can rest my mind for a little while.  Can't rest on your laurels either!

3 comments:

  1. This is great advice and a good attitude. You are pretty and smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray for permanent people!

    ReplyDelete