Monday, January 25, 2010

Going to the Homestead

A few weeks ago I sent out a general email to let many folks know that my work email address will not work, and that I was changing my home email address. The address that I have been using is from my internet provider, and a move to the country with leave us without access to the broadband connection that we have loved for so long (*sniff * tear*).

This innocent email has flooded me with questions of where we are going, and why. So here is the down & dirty version. My Jack (step-dad) is from Kansas. Jack’s family still lives there. Jack wants to go back to the Prairie—really bad. My mom is a free spirit/ex-military brat trapped in the body of a responsible mom who wanted a stable home for her pretty & smart daughter (that’s me!). In an attempt not to go to the Prairie to die she has convinced, with help from me, Jack to go the Long Way to Kansas. The plan is to move to Kansas via China, Europe and South America. The Jor-Mat’s are planning a two to three year tour of the world. Jimmy, me, and the Dabies (that’s doggie babies) are going to move to the homestead in the Eastern corner of the county, and keep track of the Aunties. (The Jor-Mats have two Golden Retrievers Candy & Cleo. They are great Aunties to the Dabies.)

The Jor-Mat homestead is a 5.5 acre hay farm. Jimmy & I are going to save some money while living there, and we are going to increase our household living space by about 500 square feet. It is a rural area, and so there goes the Road Runner account!

2 comments:

  1. Do they have AT&T out there? surely you are not giving up all broadband forever are you???? that would be terrible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, "forever" is a long time. But it is far enough out and AT&T is loathe to spend any bux on the hinterlands. They just don't make the big bux from small farmers and remote dwellers that they make in cities. Get a laptop and spend time at free WiFi hotspots.

    Hi, Heather! Long time no hear. Jo mama told me about both your blogs. (Get a Gmail account.)

    Rick <= dat's me

    ReplyDelete