Thursday, January 7, 2010

Lunch with Andrea


In high school I hung out with a small group of friends, but really never felt like I fit in (an ongoing theme in my life). There was one particular friend that I really hit it off with. If I was at a friend's house it was usually hers.

I did not go to my 10 year class reunion (several years ago), so I had missed an opportunity to see her. My husband's grandmother had passed away and there was a funeral to go to, but honestly I hadn't planned on going anyway.

The Saturday after Christmas I had lunch with Andrea-that's her with the big bright smile during our band days (that's me under the shoulder ropes). She was in town to see her parents, and had thought to connect with me. We hadn't seen each other in many years, maybe 10 (I know that I visited her when she was living in the dorm at UT), and a lot has changed in our lives. Andrea lives in Arizona. She works for a well known international company. She is investing in real estate. What different lives we lead!

When I used to hear about the adventures of my former classmates (several are medical doctors, and one even went to Korea to teach English before going to medical school!) I had felt like I hadn't accomplished anything. I almost felt like that with my old friend. Almost.

It's just not true that I haven't accomplished anything. I won't go into them here, but the things I have accomplished in my life has been done so the world may somehow be positively impacted, and not to be compared and/or diminished when placed in the same light as others.

So, it was so great to see my friend Andrea. I hope that we are able to stay in touch because it is so hard to find quality friends. Andrea's path was and is different than mine, but different isn't better. Andrea, thank you for your friendship then and now. I hope that you know how appreciated you were in my high school years, and I hope you know you're pretty and smart too.


1 comment:

  1. You started a blog. Boom. Accomplishment achieved. :)

    ReplyDelete