Saturday, February 13, 2010

Julie & Julia

Here is the first post on the road to the Oscars. 

I saw Julie & Julia via DVD.  I loved it!  This movie played a small part in why I started this blog.  If you don't know the basic idea here it is:

An office worker named Julie Powell needed to feel need in the world, and was inspired by Julia Child to write a blog about her adventure cooking of through Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  The movie chronicles the ups & downs of both women.  Julia Child as she persues her passion of writing a French cookbook for the American cook while living with her husband in Paris.  Julie Powell as she finds that she is able to make an inpact in the universe even though she is a lowly secretary working in a government agency manageing the September 11, 2001 tragedy for the victim's families. 

It was nice to see the history of Julia Child.  The movie showed that she had a great love affair with her husband. I learned that she was not perfect.  She struggled with jelousy of her sister when she conceives a child.  She struggled with pride over wanting to be not only the very best woman, but the very best student in the cooking school.  She struggled with not having enough be enough.  I was glad to see Julia Child was not perfect.  Julia Child was a real woman.  I really like Julia Child.

It was nice to see a woman like me in Julie Powell.  I often say that I work to live, not live to work.  It was nice to see that there was another woman that is searching for something more than just punching a clock. Julie Powell learned a lot about herself through blogging, and that also rings true for me.

I would recomend seeing this movie.

Meryl Streep who played Julia Child is nominated for Best Actress.

No comments:

Post a Comment